Sunday, July 21, 2013

Easy and Simple Crafts to Make Your Classroom Pretty and Functional

I know this may come as a shock to some of you but I am not a crafty person.  I am a creative person and I can draw and have an eye for photography, but I like instant gratification.    Crafting can take so long.   While I am confessing here, I will also tell you that I am a terrible gift wrapper.  My mom still has to wrap shower gifts for me because, how I do it is an embarrassment to the family  The crafts I am going to share with you are easy and don't take a lot of time to create. All the supplies were purchased at my favorite craft store, Michael's.  
My table caddies needed to be updated after years of usage.  I found these cute little bright baskets at Michael's in those big bins outside the store.  I then purchased some polka dotted ribbon.

Next, I printed my table labels and cut them using my EK Tools Circle Scissor from Michael's.  (These labels will be up in my TpT store tonight.  If you are interested in purchasing, please follow my store so that you receive an email when I add them.)


I laminated the signs and cut them again. 

I used E6000 adhesive because it does not burn your finger tips the way hot glue does and it really keeps things in place.  The glue can also be found at Michael's. 

And here is the completed project!  Simple fast and no fuss.

Here are some more of my Michael's finds:
It is missing the "I" because it fell out of my cart and did not notice!  I had to go back and buy it but did not have a chance to take the picture again.   I took the lazy way out and bought the letters already painted black - so worth it!   I also purchased spray paint for the frame, because spray painting is faster!  
The frame is currently drying in my backyard.  I will use the E6000 adhesive to add the letters after it dries.  The frame will be used for first day of school photos.  I will post more pics when it is done.
To save on ink, I back my classroom jobs and my center group cards with cardstock bright paper.

I really love spray paint!  I used the green to create the clothes pins below.  My cousin was over one night and we sat with a sharpie and drew the dots.  So simple!
I used the flat black to spruce up my student mailboxes.  They were white shoe holders from Target and looked awful after 10 years of use!  Now, they match my decor and look clean again! 
The polka-dotted borders are a staple in my room.  It is so convenient that I can just snag them from Michael's when I run out.   The backing of the board below is wrapping paper.  The Birthday Board kit is available here


Do you want to win $50 to Michael's?  Of course you do!  All you have to do is go to Michael's purchase some crafting supplies and create your own classroom project--if you upload your creation to Instagram using the hashtags #create2educate AND #sweepstakes (you have to use both), your project could be featured on Michael's "Classroom Ideas" Pinterest board, and you could even win a $50 gift card to Michael's for your future creations!!!    

Follow @ericabohrerteaching and @MichaelsStores on Instagram!

Sweepstakes Details:

Michaels knows that creative teachers work hard all year to captivate their students, to making “boring” things come to life, and to create environments that fuel education. Join us in keeping the inspiration going as we kick off the 2013/2014 school year with the#Create2Educate sweepstakes!


Create your own Back-to-School project—anything from classroom d├ęcor and organization, to a learning activity for your students. Then, enter the Michaels sweepstakes by uploading a photo of your creation to Instagram using #Create2EducateAND #sweepstakes.


Each day we’ll feature our favorite Instagram photos on the Michaels'  “Classroom Ideas”Pinterest board, and we’ll randomly pick one lucky teacher daily to win a $50 Michael’s Gift Card. Create as many Back-to-School projects as you’d like and upload photos of them to Instagram for more chances to win. #Create2Educate opens for entries on July 21st and closes on August 3rd. Head to Michael’s and get inspired today.



 Don’t’ forget that teachers get 15% off of their purchase all year long at Michaels!





22 comments:

  1. So cute! Thanks for sharing all of your ideas. I've been wanting to make a frame as well for my kiddos pictures, and yours is looking great!

    Mrs. Thompson
    Adventures in Teaching (A First Grade Blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table bins turned out adorable! So simple but awesome!

    Maria
    Kinder-Craze

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, cute ideas. Also, thanks for the tip about the Michaels Sweepstakes.
    Follow Dava Smith English Teacher on BlogLovin’

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica, What a great idea to use a shoe organizer for student mailboxes! Will probably hold up better than the "official office supply store" mailboxes I have. Mine doesn't have many more years left in it after just 6 years of use. And I am SURE it was less expensive!

    Love your birthday board as well. How do you update it when you get a new student?

    Tammi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your table caddy makeover! Why didn't I think of that? Adding another project to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the ideas. I just purchased those caddies. I love the ribbon and tags. I was curious how you are going to arrange the supplies (pencils, glue sticks, scissors) and keep them neat?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post certainly makes you look crafty! So cute!
    :) Dana
    Common to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What cute ideas. I need one of those circle cutters! Teaching with Giggles

      Delete
  9. Great ideas! :)

    Where did you buy the pink, green, purple, and blue baskets you have binders and books in tn the photograph of your mailboxes? I'm looking for some baskets in those same colors and having a difficult time finding them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all of the craftiness - you did an awesome job! I was at Michael's today staring at those frames (the one you used for your first grade frame) for about 5 minutes today before walking away from them, ha!

    Mallory
    Sprinkles For the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for posting this! I love the Birthday Bulletin Board! I may need to snag that for my classroom!
    Mrs. Wilson's Class

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aren't the Krylon colors the best?! I love the First Grade Picture frame for first day photos. =]

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a frame too, but mine says first day of Kindergarten, then I switch it out for 100th day and then last day! My parents loved getting copies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love reading your blog!! Now that I know your voice and can hear your accent, it's so fun to read your posts!! I loved my time in Vegas with you!! Your crafty projects are so cute - great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Erica! I just found your blog and I'm so excited!! I love all your fun ideas!! Yay! Can't wait make some cute table caddies!!! I'm just beginning to get into this whole world of blogging and you are an inspiration! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your projects are so adorable! I need that circle cutter! And I love that frame! Thanks for the inspiration to get crafty! :)
    Cheryl
    Crayons and Curls

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute projects! I purchased my frame the other day so I need to get started! I finished my Dice project yesterday using the magnetic containers! I think it turned out cute! Go check it out!

    tami
    http://www.myfirstgradegems.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE the ribbon decorated caddy! I dragged my poor husband to several craft stores and finally found the perfect caddy to make my own. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just want to say thank you for all your hard work! I have been working on my room and have all of your bright polka dot items up and they look great! I am so happy with everything I have purchased from you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...