The First Week of First Grade

14 September 2015

Hi everyone!  I hope you had a great first few weeks back at school.  This week will start my third week, but we have yet to have a full week of school.   We started on a Wednesday and then had off for Labor Day and then this week we have off for the Jewish Holidays.  It is a nice way to ease back in.   I thought I would share some of the activities we did the first 5 days of school.  Click on the photos to check out the sources on

Ah!  It was their first time getting to use a bathroom not in the classroom.  We spent a lot of time going over routines, the bathroom routine still needs practice.  Ideally, students put the pass on their desk and go us the bathroom.  When they get back, they can give their hands a little squirt of sanitizer and put the pass back.  This limits two boys and two girls in the bathroom at once.   Certain students have been going to the bathroom every two seconds.  So for now I have a check list along with the passes.  I am hoping that I can fade the check list out by the end of the month.  

We introduced about half the classroom jobs and I will introduce the other half next week.  They are all really excited about their jobs.
We review a lot of our behaviors through read alouds.   Check out this packet on TpT for more information:  Back to School Writing Prompts and Activities .   At the end of this post, I will put some links for recommended read alouds.

A freebie I have is this Whole Body Listening Activity:

 We created these "How We Felt on the First Day of School Graphtivities."

We did Amy Lemon's Bucket Filler Activity, click {HERE} to grab it.
My students needed a bit more of a writing prompt, so I made these strips to go with the activity.  You can download them from Google Drive {HERE}
We read this book:

All About Me

Students search the room for each other's names!

All of the All About Me Activities can be found in this packet:

Starting Literacy Centers
 We eased into literacy centers by splitting the class first into two groups and then for the next day four groups.  I hope to have them in their regular center groups by next week.

You can find out more about center set up from this packet:

This stamping activity is from my 1st Grade Words of the Week Packet on TpT.  It is also included in my Sight Words of the Week Packet

We also introduced Buddy Reading in the Book Nook Center.  They were awesome at this!

In honor of Patriot Day, we made thank you signs for police officers and firemen.

You can find them free, {HERE}!

Of course we GoNoodled, too!

Here are some of the read alouds I utilized. 

I hope you are off to a great year, too!


  1. Love all the action pics! Using names for number bonds = genius! Thanks :) Jen

  2. It looks like you had a great first week!! Your soap bottles are adorable!


Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top